Saturday, June 13, 2009

Day #13

Home Practice - Baptiste (60 min) #103
Friday

Home Practice - Barkan (60 min) #104
Saturday

So I got a new yoga DVD. It's The Barkan Method, a 60 minute yoga routine that is sort of like a hybrid of the Baptiste and Bikram styles. James Barkan was a student of Bikram Choudhoury and Bishnu Ghosh back in the 80's. Over the years he has developed his own approach to hot yoga. I bought the DVD because I was curious about his take on the practice. The workout was just OK. I am never able to do a new routine very well the first time through so we shall see how I like it after a few times. The thing I am excited about is that the DVD has a tutorial on each posture - which I hope will give me a better understanding of the proper technique.

I also bought "Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class" book which goes through the 26 postures in great detail with benefits and modifications for each. It also has some great photos of actual students he's had over the years. I read his most recent book when it came out a few years ago and got so much out of it. Now I'm *really* looking forward to going through all the postures one by one and getting his personal insights into each.

This book will have to wait until I am on break in July and August for me to read it, though. Right now I am pretty swamped studying Anatomy & Physiology to keep up with my summer class. Man do they cram a whole lot of information into six short weeks. I will be really happy to have a little bit more free time at the end of the summer.

Anyway it is late and I am pretty beat, so I will sign off for now.

Aloha & Namaste to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment