Friday, June 12, 2009

My Tattoo


So it's not completely healed but pretty close. The colors should be a little richer once the skin has finished peeling and it's not so flaky. The location is my right inner ankle and represents putting my best foot forward into the world. The tattoo design is not exactly what I had in mind, but I actually like it even better. This tattoo has many layers of meaning for me. I will try to explain them as best as I can.

The small stick figure in the center w/ the heart for a body is a representation of the Spearhead "Stay Human" logo. I decided I wanted to get that logo in a tattoo about 6 years ago when I first got turned on to Michael Franti.

A few weeks after seeing him perform at High Sierra Music Festival for the first time we heard about a cd signing at Amoeba Records in the Haight. We thought it would be a typical cd release - he'd sing a song or two and close up shop. What actually happened completely blew us away. The band played an acoustic set that lasted 3 hours straight, song after song, inside the record store. Then Michael stayed around for another hour and a half to talk to EVERY SINGLE PERSON and give them a hug. He made eye contact with each person like he was looking into their soul. It struck me so deeply that this man is a walking, talking manifestation of the word namaste. "I honor the divine in you that is also in me." Seriously, he is a musician who walks the walk and talks the talk. And an inspiration for me to do the same in my own life.


To me "Stay Human" means first and foremost to honor the sacredness of being human. It is a reminder to stay authentic, stay genuine, stay present and stay true to myself. To lead with my heart and to honor what makes me uniquely me. But at the same time, to realize that we are all the same. Through the process of recognizing and honoring my own humanness, I will automatically recognize and honor that same humanity in everyone I meet. Every life is sacred, every soul is pure.

I chose to incorporate the "Stay Human" logo within a mandala. The Tibetan word for "mandala," dkyil-‘khor , literally means "that which encircles a center." A "center," here is a meaning, and "that which encircles it" - a mandala - is a round symbol that represents or even amplifies that meaning. The goal of the mandala is to serve as a tool on our spiritual journey since it symbolizes cosmic and psychic order. And this particular design is a mandala within a mandala that reminds me of a flower petal blooming - which of course is a metaphor used frequently in Bikram yoga. To me this symbolizes that my life is in the process of opening up right now.

The colors I chose also have special meaning:

Orange is the color of the sacral chakra and represents creativity. This chakra is the center of the emotional body. It offers the opportunity to lessen "control issues" and find a balance in life, teaching us to recognize that acceptance and rejection are not the only options in relationships. The process of making changes in our life stream through our personal choices is a product of second chakra energy.

Red is the color of the kundalini or root chakra. It represents the element of fire. This chakra is the center of physical energy and vitality, the energy to succeed in business or material possessions, and the center of manifestations. The root chakra is the grounding force that allows us to connect to the earth energies that empower our being. When it is balanced we experience a steady flow of vitality.

Purple is the color of the third eye chakra and represents intuition. The third eye is the avenue to wisdom - learning from experiences and putting them in perspective. The ability to separate reality from fantasy or delusions is connected to the healthfulness of this chakra. Achieving the art of detachment beyond "small mindedness" is accomplished through the development of impersonal intuitive reasoning.

I know... Pretty deep. And now I will leave you with a YouTube video featuring Michael performing "Stay Human" that really captures his essence and the energy of being at a live show. All the freaky people DO make the beauty of the world.



5 comments:

  1. Ellen~ Very nice. It looks beautiful and I love that it is so well thought out, right down to the colors having meaning. I do not have a tattoo yet, but want to get namaste with a butterfly under it on my lower back, either right or left. Now you have given me some ideas of more things to think through, like meaning of placement and colors.
    It looks very nice on your "best foot forward".
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle. This was a long time coming. When I found the mandala design everything kind of clicked into place and I wanted to get it done right away.
    Namaste is such a profoundly simple but beautiful sentiment. And a butterfly represents metamorphosis. The two together will be lovely.
    When I release all of the extra weight I may get another tattoo on my lower back that incorporates the eyes of buddha and an "Om" symbol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to comment on this when you first posted it, but I guess it didn't go through...I REALLY LOVE IT!! The colors are so pretty and the patterns are so sweet and I just love it to death. I'm so happy you got exactly what you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen, it looks amazing! Did you do this during your bikram challenge? I am going for my first one, but the tattoo artist said i should not practice for at least a week and I am wondering if i really have to wait that long.

    ReplyDelete