Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Bikram Kaimuki - class #57
8:15 w/ Jeremy

I really felt bad for Jeremy tonight. He came in to teach the 6:30 class as a favor and then the teacher for the 8:15 class didn't show up so he stayed to teach that one, too. He was not happy but didn't let it affect his dialogue. What a friggin pro - I am so grateful and more than a little bit impressed. He guided us through a solid practice like it was the first class he'd taught all day when in reality it was his fifth. He is totally my hero right now.

Makes me feel even more like shite for missing 2 days in a row of yoga. And I didn't blog yesterday, either so I am a little disappointed with myself. In my defense, I missed A & P lecture as well last night because I was feeling crappy. Not to mention it was raining and there were flash flood warnings for the entire island of Oahu. But I broke my cardinal rule. I realize that what matters is not how you fall but how quickly you get back up in the saddle. So I'm going to make this a 2 day slump rather than a week long one. Instead of berating myself I will pick myself up, dust myself off, and get right back on track like nothing happened.

I am actually thinking seriously about starting a 60 day challenge before my trip to California. I am inspired by reading the blogs about challenges you all have done or are currently doing. I've got between now and St. Patrick's Day to decide, which is 60 days out from the day I leave. For the time being I will try to get back to basics. I will go to yoga for the next 6 days in a row. Then allow myself one day off Monday 3/16. Then most likely start the challenge Tuesday 3/17. I will also try not to worry so much about food while still avoiding animal products. It's a tall order, but my success has everything to do with my attitude. I don't have to be perfect. I just have to do my best in every situation.

I've got to get back into the mindset that yoga is non-negotiable. Meat and dairy are also non-negotiable. I need to stop with the head games and little bargains I make with myself. The "I'll start fresh tomorrow and be super good" rationale that makes slipping up allowable. I was - no *I am* - doing really good. I'm well on my way to reaching my goal weight and getting my body into prime shape. But I've still got a ways to go. There is much more work to be done. I can't rest on my laurels. I've got to keep on keeping on. So that is precisely what I'm going to do.



Today's Food Choices:
hazelnut coffee w/ soy milk & sugar in the raw
banana nut muffin
(9 am Cafe 1132)
fruit salad
- pineapple, grapes, melon
(12 pm - work)
veggie burger
green salad
brown rice & peanut butter rice crispy treat
(2:30 pm - Umeke)
2x Hershey's 100 calorie packs
(5:30 pm - work)

2 comments:

  1. The hardest thing for me was finally realizing (after 10 years of being very overweight and inactive) that it's not about getting to my goal. Its about the journey. Because once I get to my "goal weight" I have to stay there and I'll always want to improve muscle tone, get rid of celluite, work on flexibility and strength, etc. So your attitude of not beating yourself up is perfect. Its a HARD thing to learn. Trust me, I know. I'm my own worst critic and have to constantly keep myself in check so I don't beat myself up. I would really encourage you to do the challenge. Every one I've done has improved the quality of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The challenge will certainly make the yoga non-negotiable. That was one of the best things about it. I no longer had to think about whether I was going to class, just when.

    I applaud your decision not to focus so much on food. I think its fine to make the rules like no meat and no dairy, so long as those are choices you can live with indefinitely. After several huge weight swings (40+ lbs lost and then regained), I finally decided that I would never again do any diet that I could not then adopt as a permanent lifestyle. So I gave up on dieting.

    For me, the secret ended up being that I needed to learn when I had had enough. Yoga did that for me. Before I would eat whatever was in front of me, no matter how much. (Growing up, we had to clean everything from our plates, and I think that's where that came from.) Seemingly from nowhere, after about a month of yoga, I started actually feeling like I was full and didn't need to eat any more.

    Anyway, my point is that obsessing about food -- either eating it or not eating it -- is not a way to good health. Like so much else, the trick seems to be to let go. And thats easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete