Thursday, March 26, 2009

13 & 14/60

Bikram Kaimuki - class #71
Wednesday 8:15 pm w/ Jeremy

Bikram Kaimuki - class #72
Thursday 6:30 pm w/ Jeremy

I love Jeremy. He's probably my favorite teacher if I had to pick one. Not much to report from either class. Both were solid and neither too crowded. Last night I stayed in camel for the full time both sets - but I do that a lot these days, I'd say at least 2/3 of the time. Tonight I stayed in triangle for the full time both sides - which I've been doing about half of the time lately. I did - for the first time ever tonight - touch my knee in spine twisting on both sides. I kind of shifted the way I was sitting and what do you know? There was my knee. Exciting stuff.

I've been slipping back way too much into the dairy again lately. I read somewhere that milk has feel good hormones intended to increase bonding between the calf and its mother. These basically have the effect of an opiate on the human system. When people say that they are addicted to dairy - that actually has some physiological truth to it. And with cheese it's worse since it is a much more condensed product.

I know that I am so much better off going cold turkey. So tomorrow I will do just that. Again, butter will be the exception because it is a much weaker product since it's just the oil run-off. But even that has got to be in moderation. I will also try to step my consumption of fruits and vegetables way up and avoid processed food. That should get my weight moving in the downward direction again.



Today's Weight: 211.5

Today's Food Choices:
large vanilla iced coffee
cinnamon roll
(9 am - McDonald's)
falafalel w/ pita bread & hummus
Greek salad
(12:30 pm - Leo's Taverna)
8 oz Kombucha
(3:30 pm work)
2 small brownines
(8:30 pm - home)

2 comments:

  1. Sometime, I'd love to hear a fuller description of what's so hard about Camel. You seem to obsess about it the way I do with Locust. It's never been that big a deal for me, and I'd really like to hear what's so challenging about it.

    It sounds like you are doing great. Getting to where you can get through Triangle with some regularity, without sitting out, is a great accomplishment. I was totally stoked the first time I made it through standing series with no breaks. And I still feel like its an accomplishment, every time I manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camel is one of the postures where I can hold the full expression the whole time with some measure of accuracy. A couple of the teachers here keep us in this posture extra long - like for a whole minute in the second set - so I've made it a personal challenge to stay in it. It also hurts so good to open up my hips.

    This posture is not super difficult for me physically, but emotionally it is a doozy. It makes me feel really crazy sometimes. I can often feel emotions welling up like they're going to explode through my chest. Occasionally I'll get dizzy and disoriented and see spots for the entire rest of class.

    I do have a much harder time getting into and staying in most of the compression postures, especially rabbit, cause I literally cannot breathe. Locking the knee is also really hard, if not next to impossible for me. But I keep on trying. That's what "practice" is all about. ;))

    ReplyDelete