Friday, February 27, 2009

MEDITATION #18 (redux)

Bikram Kaimuki - class #51
6:30 pm w/ Kevo

I had a solid class tonight with Kevo. I heard a rumor he's leaving which will make me sad, cause I probably have my strongest classes with him lately. Strongest in that I break new ground, find a new edge, push myself harder than I really want to go. Tonight I held camel, or actually I should say the long Kevo version of camel, for the whole time both sets. I felt dizzy when I came out and my heart was seriously pounding after the second set. But such a good feeling to have the mental discipline to hang in there *literally* for the whole time.

I've also been thinking a lot today about the idea of non-violence in thought, word, and action. The thoughts are where I trip up the most. I don't know why I think it's OK to rip somebody a new one mentally when I would never dream of doing it out loud. Who am I kidding? On a certain level they can feel my disgust, anger, frustration, etc... I need to try to be more compassionate. I need to be quicker to give the benefit of the doubt than to jump to conclusions. I need to send love to each of the difficult people in my life. I need to see them as their truest highest self. And I also need to be more compassionate with myself. We are all connected. We are all on the same path. We all mean well. We all are just trying our best to get through this dream called life. I am grateful to that this meditation brought all these things I already know back into the forefront of my mind.


Today's Weight: 214.0


Today's Food Choices:
24 oz pineapple, banana, spinach, mint, almond milk smoothie

(8 am - home)
vegetarian pho soup
(12 pm - Baile)
Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies
(3 pm - work)
8 oz Kombucha

(5 pm - work)
lavosch crackers
10 baby carrots
(9 pm - home)

1 comment:

  1. Ellen:

    Im enjoying your blog. Thanks for commenting on mine.

    I've got two quick points about this first yama. First, non-harming and non-violence may not be the same thing. If you have ever seen a chiropractor throw someone's back into alignment, or seen someone have their dislocated shoulder snapped back into the socket, you can easily see the distinctions. Some things are very violent, but not harmful (and actually helpful). Conversely, in polite society, people have devised all sorts of ways to hurt and snub each other without resorting to violence.

    Harmful thoughts harm the thinker more than anyone else. If you poison your attitude, you change your world for the worse. The world of the happy person is different than the world of an unhappy person. So, while it may be true that bad thoughts will have some residual impact on others, and it probably is true, the main reason for avoiding harmful thoughts is because, in the end, mind body and spirit are one. If you poison one, you poison all three.

    ReplyDelete