Saturday, February 21, 2009

MEDITATION #13

Bikram Kaimuki - class #46
4:30 w/ Kevo

Yes the day has come that I never thought would - I can say without a doubt that Kevo is now one of my favorite teachers. I had another strong class with him tonight. I even held triangle for the full time, both sides and both sets. I did come out of camel early, but that's at least partly because my back was hurting. And I did stay in until I felt like I was gonna pass out if I remained upside down another second. Overall I put forth a very good effort in all the postures tonight. I have to say that I like taking class from a lot of different teachers. It's good to experience a variety of people's individual styles. The dialogue is pretty close to the same every class. But the teachers add their own interpretation and personality to it. I gain unique insights from each and every teacher whose class I attend.

On another note, even though my weight loss has been less than spectacular I am definitely feeling thinner. I'm fitting into jeans that I haven't been able to wear since the beginning of last summer. A little bit more background... I stopped drinking diet soda in June of 2008. Prior to that I probably drank at least one diet beverage a day since I was about 11 or 12. The only periods where I didn't do this were during prolonged fasts here and there. So this was also a big deal for me. I got terrible migraine headaches for about 6 weeks. Now I get a headache if I have anything with aspartame or saccharin in it.

Anyway, when I initially stopped the diet drinks I switched to regular soda or tea with sugar and this caused me to gain about 30 lbs. I have since switched to plain tea or water. But to make a long story short... I am now fitting into jeans that I could wear before I gave up diet drinks and gained that additional weight. So even though I have only lost 20 lbs or so, I am fitting into pants that I wore when I was 10 lbs lighter than I am now.

I believe that there is really something to be said about the shrinking power of Bikram Yoga. Jenn from Seattle mentions this in her blog. With regular Bikram practice, your body actually condenses itself. Which makes sense when you take into consideration that muscle weighs more than fat but is more compact. I believe that I am living proof that this is true. I am shrinking in size faster than the number on the scale is decreasing. And it is all thanks to my regular visits to Bikram's Torture Chamber.

Today's meditation talks about the concept that what we resist persists. Gates says. "We do not have to succumb to the tyranny of our own self-judgment. We can observe our reactions with awareness, and let them go." My knee-jerk response to this was, "Yeah right, easier said than done!" But then I took a step back and became the observer of that reaction. I realized that, no - actually - it's *not* easier said than done. Just let it go without judgment. Simple. Perfect. Easy. And what a huge relief.

Today's Weight: 216.5


Today's Food Choices:
20 oz coffee w/ vanilla syrup & almond milk
kona chocolate chip pancakes w/ coconut syrup
(12 pm - Mulvadi Cafe)
4 slices veggie pizza w/ garlic sauce but no cheese
(8 pm - Papa John's)

1 comment:

  1. Ellen~
    Thanks for you comment on my blog. And yes! You can do a back to back double. I'll be honest with you, they are tough for me. The worst worst worst is getting through half moon that second class. Ouch! I have only done 4 or 5 back to backs though and so maybe someday I will get stronger at them.
    I agree with you on the shrinking power of Bikram. I am currently 172 lbs and fitting into size 10 jeans. Normally I would have to be closer to 160 to be in that size! So stuff is obviously getting lean and tight from the yoga....especially the midsection. That's the best! That beautiful Bikram Belly. Keep up the good work on your yoga journey!

    ReplyDelete