Sunday, February 22, 2009

MEDITATION #14

Again no class for me today. I didn't make it during the day like I should have. And then we had an Oscar-watching party at our house in the evening and I felt like I'd be rude if I left. No worries, tomorrow is another day. I had a couple of glasses of champagne and I probably ate a little bit too much. But I didn't have any meat or dairy, so I am proud of myself for that. I do feel like I've been missing class too much lately. For the next few weeks - probably until I head to California to visit in March - I am going to try to go every day to get my discipline and focus back where they need to be.

In today's meditation Gates talks about the importance of rest. He says that as we develop our yoga practice we can actually learn to rest in the pose. This concept is not new to me. When I swam competitively I learned to push really hard into the flip turn at each wall and then back off a little, stretch out and breathe while swimming back to the other wall. When I ran marathons I would alternate periods of time pushing myself with periods of time easing up or at least changing my stride while still running. I think that active rest is a crucial part of most endurance athletic activities. Yoga is no different. I need to learn to pace myself while still working hard. And more importantly, try to follow Jeremy's sage advice in/after every class: "Do your best and be happy with that."


Today's Weight: 215.5


Today's Food Choices:
24 oz pineapple, banana, spinach, mint, orange juice smoothie
(10 am - home)
leftover chocolate chip pancake w/ regular syrup
(12 pm - from Mulvadi Cafe)
cheerios w/ almond milk
1 small brownie
(2 pm - home)
4 slices veggie pizza w/ garlic sauce but no cheese
(6 pm - from Papa John's)

homemade hummus w/ lavosch crackers
homemade mango cobbler
2 glasses of champagne
(8 pm - home)

No comments:

Post a Comment